UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Working on a 1998 Nissan Frontier with a V6. VIN is

1n6ed26y8xc311782. It will occasionally start...
Working on a 1998 Nissan Frontier with a V6. VIN is 1n6ed26y8xc311782. It will occasionally start losing power and missing while driving, it acts like it wants to stall out at high rpm’s. It will idle fine but as soon as you give it gas it will start to miss again. It is very intermittent but my wife drives this vehicle out of town for work so I want to get this cleared up and not have to go out of town to save her a bunch of times.
I pulled the codes one time and there was a bunch of them. They were as followsP0446
P0325
P0120
P0450
P0217
P1320
P0105I saw one of those was a throttle position sensor, I thought that was gonna be it, I cleared all the codes and sent her back out. It happened again and I pulled the codes again. This time they were this.P1336
P0446
P1320
P0450Since there was no throttle position code this time I am a little stumped on where to go now.
Answered in 5 days by:
3/22/2018
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you have not had the fuel system tested for any issues this needs did.If you are losing fuel pressure or fuel volume due to a weak fuel pump or plugged fuel filter this will cause this fault here and will need to be corrected.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Today I put a fuel pressure gauge right after the fuel filter.When I first started it was at about 35 psi while ideling, it would jump to 41 psi while accelerating, and would drop down to 39 psi while driving normally.After about 30 min of driving it all those pressures dropped about 5 psiI drove it for about 1 hour 45 minuets.
At the end of the drive the fuel pressure was pretty steady at about 28 psi regardless of if I was ideling or accelerating, maybe a boost of a couple psi if I was really aggressive with the throttle.It never stalled out or sputtered like it has before.What do you feel should be my next steps?Thanks for helping

I would continue to monitor the fuel pressure and check to see if any fault codes come back ( clear out the codes ) to see if when it acts up if the pressure drops any further or if any of the codes you have listed above come back again.If the pressure drops lower then the 28 psi when it acts up then I suspect a fuel pump issue.If it does not let me know if any of the fault codes come back again.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
it finally happened again after I had cleared the codes. They wereP0446
P0443
P1320Thoughts?

Code P0446 is evap control incorrect purge flow.Code P0443 is evap canister purge control valve fault.P1320 is ignition coil fault.

For the first 2 codes mentioned here, it sounds like you have a faulty purge control valve needing replaced.As for the last code, this sounds like a fault with an ignition coil acting up needing to be replaced.I would have the ignition coils checked to see if any show signs of corrosion or arcing or damage needing to be replaced.I have had to replace several ignition coils for this issue here.

Thanks, Pete