UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Put new fuel sender pump in and electric pump but and new…

Put new fuel sender...

Put new fuel sender pump in and electric pump but and new filter and housing but electric pump struggled after 10 minutes constant driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Just as normal but when secondary pump is squealing the car bottoms out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Audi?

09 sportline 170 bhp

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed sender unit ( Bosch) electric fuel pump(Delphi) Audi original fuel housing and filter and also a small filter unit in the injector pump

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long do I have to wait for a response?
3/16/2018
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert
Sorry about the delay I didn't see your question until now for some reason.How do you know that the fuel pump is struggling? You don't mention changing the fuel pump relay, I always change the fuel pump relay when I change a fuel pump because when a fuel pump fails, it draws excessive amperage over the relay which Heats it up and can cause it to burn up.You really shouldn't have use a Delphi fuel pump those things are junk, they're notorious for failing that's why Chevrolets are notorious for having faulty fuel pumps, it's very likely that you have a bad one right out of the box. I would use a scan tool to read the fuel pressure if possible, or install a fuel pressure gauge and verify that the pressure is dropping. If it is or if the pump is excessively loud I would probably pull the sending unit back out and inspect to be sure that everything is installed properly, if you didn't get the pump locked into the swirl pot in the tank properly it might be flopping around in there.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way the site compensates me for my time.Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions, you can do so even after hitting accept.Sorry there was a delay, we are not a bunch of people sitting in a call center somewhere, we are all professional mechanics who work in shops full-time and do this on the side from our cell phones or computers to help people out.
DubAutowerks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I change the two relays ?
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks