UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

GS300 2008 model, battery seems flat. Tried to jump it but…

Customer Question
GS300 2008 model, battery...

GS300 2008 model, battery seems flat. Tried to jump it but alarm and horn goes off, both key fobs fail to lock or unlock doors, so alarm runs for several minutes and car will not start, even with new battery hooked up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

Yeah.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GS300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to trickle charge battery. Tried to jump battery with an electronic starter for "up to 4 litre petrol engine". That just sets the alarm off and won't recognise the key fobs. Local mechanic just came round, fitted a new battery, but exact same thing happened. Alarm and horn, won't do anything even though lights on dashboard.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The old one was the Panasonic, so it was probably due for replacement anyway. But even a new battery does the same thing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/15/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Try this, pull the negative cable off the battery for about 5 minutes. Then reinstall the negative cable, close the hood and all the doors, and put the key in the driver side door lock cylinder and lock and unlock the door a few times, see if that resets the alarm module. Let me know what happens there.

What worked was this (in this order); hook up the new battery or jump starter (alarm sounds and horn sounds all the time), get in the car, turn the ignition OFF by the button on the dash, open and close one of the doors (driver in my case), turn the ignition on (with brake pedal depressed). This starts the car and the alarm deactivates. Then the car starts to recognise the key fobs again, and can be locked and unlocked via the fobs.
UK Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago
eric remington

SO ALL GOOD? IS BATTERY IN KEY FOB NEW?