UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1999 Grand Voyager had a problem with the dynamo and

My 1999 Grand Voyager...

My 1999 Grand Voyager had a problem with the dynamo and managed to drive home on the battery power. Just before the motor stopped there came a huge BANG - think it was fuel which exploded in the catalysator. After that I charged the battery and now the car won't start. I have tested that there is spark on all 4, I hear the fuel pump and smell fuel on the spark plugs. But I saw that the immobiliser light (alarm) is not flashing at all except the anti theft light on the radio. What can be the reason why the car suddenly does not start anymore?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

I have checked the fuses - all OK - but I did not reset the computer. I do not know how to do that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to fix it myself since it is stuck at my house. But I am just a hobby mechanic. What I did I described on the top.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know off

3/15/2018
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you have spark and fuel like your seeing make sure you have good air flow through the engine air filter.If this is good and the bang came from the catalytic converter this can actually break up the catalytic converter and it will block the exhaust flow.When this happens this will prevent the engine from starting as there is extreme back pressure and nowhere for the compression for the engine to flow.You can try to loosen the exhaust near the engine before the catalytic converter to see if it then starts and runs.If it does I suspect the catalytic converter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete.
If is the catalytic converter which is blocked, will it than be that the car not even does "attempts" to start, as if there is no fuel at all? Like my car does. Or can it be that the car does attempts to start but won't run properly?

Hello

If it is completely blocked this will keep it from starting at all.I have seen where it will be completely blocked and will cause the no start at all like your seeing here.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Thanks. I will try!

Your welcome