UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Crank but no start, engine malfunction in display DTC

Crank but no start...

Crank but no start, engine malfunction in display DTC P0090:00-64 & P003A:16-68.Injectors/fuel rail changed within the last 2 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

MPG is about 45 but she has a lazy start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Ford?

07 2.0tdci Ghia MkIV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The error codes suggest it may be the fuel pressure regulator however from the research i've done this seems unlikely. This has been an issue since i bought the car but was an intermitant fault. Runs fine, apart from a lazy start then all of a sudden engine malfunction appears on the display and no start, may last adayor twothen it's fine. However it's been 3 weeks now.

3/15/2018
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.My info is limited to your model.

The first code indicates an electrical circuit fault with the fuel pressure regulator.Even though it is not a common component to fail on your model it can still fail internally and will cause this issue.With an electrical fault with it internally this will cause the no start issue here.I would have the wiring checked and traced from the fuel pressure regulator to see if any wiring issues are found leading from it to the engine computer.If any wiring issues are found the wiring will need to be repaired.If all wiring is found to be o.k. then the pressure regulator needs replacing.This won't be a lack of fuel or fuel pressure issue since this is an electrical code.It will usually be either wiring or the regulator itself needing to be replaced.

The other code looks to be a turbo boost code that I can see.I suspect this is related to the fuel pressure regulator code and once the fuel pressure regulator fault is repaired this should resolve this code as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ok thanks, ***** ***** a bit out of my comfort zone it'll have to be garage. I've been told that it could be an ECU fault, not opening the injectors? Is this likely?

You're welcome

The ECU can also cause this as well if there is an internal fault in it.Usually, it is uncommon for this to cause this issue here as in most cases it is the fuel pressure regulator at fault or wiring at fault.But if the wiring checks out to be o.k. and the fuel pressure regulator is o.k. or is replaced and the fault continues then the ECU would need to be replaced.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli