UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Skoda Octavia Diesel 1.9l, 105bhp, 09 plate,

I have a Skoda...

I have a Skoda Octavia Diesel 1.9l, 105bhp, 09 plate, 130,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Serviced every year with oil change.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Skoda?

It will not start. There are no ignition lights on at all, but the engine fires up every time and then stops within 1 second, every time. The heater fan works, I can hear the fuel pump at start. Any ideas ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Topped up the battery to make sure fully charged, checked the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

3/15/2018
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin it would appear that your vehicle has immobilised itself likely caused by a dashboard failure .do you have a spare key ?

The spare key is here but it does not seem to open/shut remotely, only with the key bit

Ok and does it react the same when trying to start ?

I was expecting a call. What has happened ? Do you have a suggestion as to why my car will not start ?

did other key make any difference ? You didnt get back to me i dont offer phone service and im guessing no other tech believes they can fix over the phone

Hi Kevin. No other key works.

sorry to clarify the other key starts the car

Kevin, just to clarify what happens:
The key I have been using is the same over the last 18 months. I have the second one but it broke at the hinge (but I can still use it manually) and now it seems as though the battery inside is dead. It no longer opens the car remotely. Back to the key I have been using. It unlocks the doors, but, when put into the ignition and on the first turn, there are no warning lights on the instrument panel as I would normally expect - just a plain black background - no lights at all. On the second click (to engage the starter motor) the engine fires up but dies away after a second. If I apply throttle at this point,the engine revs up a bit more, but dies away after 2 seconds.

Ok you either have a dashboard failiure or the main relay is failing to provide power to dash pod .either way the dash will need to be removed to test or you will need a scan tool to see if you can communicate with dash board

Thank you Kevin. I shall take it from here, and many thanks for your help.

No problem please let me know how you get on

Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Phone call session started