UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

53 plate rover 45 1.4 starts fine when towed but won't start…

53 plate rover 45...

53 plate rover 45 1.4 starts fine when towed but won't start with key

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I have cleaned all terminals and connections and fitted fully charged battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Rover 45 1.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fully charged battery. All battery terminals, connections and earths checked and cleaned. Starter motor removed and checked with battery and jumpleads

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will only start with a tow. Won't start with key. Won't start with jump

3/14/2018
martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic

Hi there and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem,first of all can you tell me if the engine turns over using the key,also does your remote open and close the car on the central locking,please advise,kind regards martin.

Car locks and unlocks with fob or key. Indicators flash 3 times when locked and once when unlocked. Red light on dash goes out when key is in ignition. Ignition lights come on but engine doesn't turn over. When key turned to start position A B S light comes on. Won't start with jump start but will start easy with tow.
Problem first occurred during freezing weather but car started OK as soon as thaw started. Now will only start with tow regardless of weather

Hi there,the first thing to check would be the permanent 12 volt to the starter,also the switched feed to the starter solenoid this should be 12 volts once key is turned and held in the crank position,please check these items first and come back to me and we can go further,kindest regards martin.

i will await your responce regards martin.

Will check these and get back to you. Cheers

No problem, i am online till about 10.30 tonight then back on at 7.0pm tomorrow regards martin.

It'll be tomorrow before I can get back to car. Thanks.
Don't suppose it makes much difference but cars a 52 plate, not 53 as I stated earlier.

Hi there,no it makes no difference please check and get back to me tomorrow,we can then further diagnose your problem,kindest regards martin.

Start relay operating. Power from battery to starter. No power to starter solenoid when key turned to start position.

Hi there,ok we now need to check the fuses associated with this circuit,please check fuses F18 in the fascia fuse box and F3 in the engine bay fuse box F12 starter motor relay to check this just swop with one of the other relays around it they are the same,please check and come back to me,kindest regards martin.

Thanks, ***** ***** is fine. I'll check the fuses tomorrow and get back to you.

Hi there, if these fuses are ok i would now check that your earth leads from the battery are not broken,also the earth lead from the chassis, the only other possible cause of this non start would be the ignition switch itself,please check these also,kindest regards martin.

Earth leads are all good, clean and tight. But I'll check fuses after work tomorrow night and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks.

many thanks,regards martin.

Hi there,just a quick follow up on your problem,hope the above information was helpful, if you want any further help please ask,if not please can you PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON to ACCEPT as this is how i get paid,many thanks and regards martin.

Hi, I've just checked all fuses and relays. All good. All earths good. All connections good. Fault code reader shows no codes. Only difference now is when I lock car with fob indicators don't flash. Still flash once when unlocking. Red led flashes on dash when locked and goes out when unlocked.
Hi, I've just turned ignition on and run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery, the engine started immediately. Drove the car and everything working fine but when I stopped engine it would only start again with wire from solenoid to battery. Do you know if this model still has the alarm/ immobiliser control unit in the drivers door like the older rovers had and could this be the problem? I ask as its odd that this only started in extremely cold weather when locks had been frozen. As temperature rose car would start normally again until now.

Hi there,the rover 45 uses a 5AS unit up behind the dash if the immobilizer was at fault you would not be able to start by bypassing this by running a wire from the battery to the solenoid,you may have a faulty ignition switch as mentioned in my earlier post not uncommon worth checking this first,check connector block to ignition switch,kindest regards martin.

Thanks, I'll check the switch and it's connections tomorrow,

ok, i will await your reply kind regards martin.

Hi, I've opened the ignition switch and the contact points all look OK. With the ignition off iam getting 12 volts to the heavy white wire and to the yellow and black wire. Electrics are not my strong point. Can you advise best way to checks switch? Is there a way to start car at switch if it is faulty?

Hi there, you should be able to remove the connector from the switch itself,then with a screwdriver you will be able to move the contact,the same as you would with the key,failing that i take it the yellow and black wire is only 12 volts on the crank position,if it is great,the big white wire should be a direct feed to the starter motor and the yellow and black to the starter solenoid,in theory touching these wires together would crank the engine,but please check the yellow and black wire first on the crank position and make sure its 12 volts and zero when releasing the key,please advise,regards martin.

The 2 wires for the starter are the heavy white and a white/black. These wires come from a plug under the dash. Connections look good and clean. All other wires come from plug on fuse box again all looks good. When turning switch to crank position there is a click from behind glovebox. The same when whitewire and white/ black are bridged.

Hi F12 relay for the starter motor is in the engine bay fuse box,saying that,according to my AUTODATA there is a starter motor relay near glove box,see if you can pinpoint the clicking exactly,failing that swop F12 relay in fuse box for another in there,they are the same,it should click whilst cranking,kind regards ***** ***** the fuses are ok including the big fuses ie,50 amp etc

All fuses and relays in bonnet fuse box are good. All fuses and relays under dash are good. Tomorrow I'll remove the glovebox and find out what's clicking. I'll get back to you once I know . thanks for your help so far. I doubt if I would have gotten this far on my own

ok no problem i will await your reply

martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic
Thanks for all your help. Faulty relay behind glovebox. Now starting 1st time every time again.