UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 transit 2lt TDCI that cuts out at random

times. The problem has been...
I have a 2004 transit 2lt TDCI that cuts out at random times. The problem has been for some period but at one time disappeared but has now returned. I can be driving along and the glow plug light comes on and the engine cuts out so without stopping I turn the key off and then back on, the momentum restarting the engine and carry on. This may happen in quick succession or as I say at random times. Also if the light comes on and the engine stayes running it appears to be in limp mode but I could drive all day with the light on but the engine would not cut out. A local garage has check it on the computer which states there is a fuel pressure malfunction. The fuel filter has been changed the engine does not smoke at all and never fails to start at the first turn of the key.Any ideas as to where exactly the problem may be.
3/13/2018
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin do you happen to have the exact fault code that is set when this occurrs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi kevin, no, I would have to get it tested again to get the code.

For the engine to cut out the fuel pressure must be dropping way outside limits .you need to get van looked at by a garage with a capable diagnostic tool to view live data of fuel pressure whilst issue is occurring .you need to find if pressure is to high or too low ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hoped you might have an idea whether it could be mechanical or possible electrical as when it happens by turning the key off and straight back on without stopping it appears to reset itself. Can mechanical problems do that. I will get it tested again to get the exact codes and get back to you.

Its most likely an electrical issue .fuel pressure regulating valves are a common failure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good afternoon Kevin,sorry for the wait but as I said I would get the codes for you. So here are the codes.
PO226, PO100, P1211, PO251

Ok the last two codes are the ones to persue they will cause your issues .i would have an injector leakback test carried out first as its likely that you have one or more injectors failing causing the drop in fuel pressure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is corrected by turning the key off and on whilst still moving?

the issue occurrs when the engine control system picks up oh the fuel pressure change and limits power and in some cases cuts the engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are we saying that a reset as in turning the key off and on temperarely fixes it. I drove down 80 miles down the motorway today and it failed once which appeared to happen after a long downhill run and when we went up the hill the other side and a bit more power was required it failed so key off/key on and carried on without stopping.

vorrect exactly that .once the control system sees that the pressure is out of range it will then restrict output

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks I will go and get alive test done. I'm not sure I understand the fact that it is so intermittent but maybe the live test will get a clear result.

no problem ,please remember to rate my service and let me know how you get on

Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic