UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Excessive fuel consumption and down on power. Starts fine.

Excessive fuel consumption and...

Excessive fuel consumption and down on power

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 PA Mitsubishi Challener / Pajero Sport 3.0 V6 petrol

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything yet - but am looking to check coils and spark plugs then maybe EGO sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really looking to talk to mechanic yet but will get back to this site soon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI - Have paid the fee - information from your mechanic would be appreciated when available
Cheers
3/11/2018
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi, sorry for the long wait just got back on line and i'm on the other side so we have a big time difference .

First question is the "service engine now" light ON when the engine is running .

Do you have a scan tool or code reader to check for possible malfunction codes .

How many miles on this engine .

Can you give me a quicke history on what services have been done like timing belt etc .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Motor has approx 160000, full service including timing belt was done around 12000k ago. No dash lights on, I do not have a code reader.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if or when the plugs have been changed as I have not had the vehicle very long. Consumption on highway was 12.5l per 100km this has jumped to approx 16

Okay no check engine light means you have the management system working correctly .

What i suggest you do is replace the spark plugs and leads first .

Did you change petrol stations ?

Remove the MAF sensor and clean it with MAF cleaner spray ,if you drive in dusty conditions this could well be your problem .

Replace air filter if needed.

If we had a scan tool with live data we could check this .

But no tools do the MAF clean ,change plugs and leads .

Disconnect battery before doing this job.

Tyres where they changed to M&S from Radials .

Binding brakes ,

Another thing to check.

Long engine idle time .

O2 sensors if these where never replaced i suggest this is done as O2 sensors are good to 80 - 100.k

Dirty fuel injectors ,throw a bottle of injector clean in a tank of petrol ,MAX 44 is very good .

Coolant sensor inaccurate .

Then test drive and calculate ..

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks - will try these things and come back at a later date - many thanks
Greg
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner