UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I cant open my bonnet on VW transporter t5 2.5. I can see…

Customer Question
I cant open my...

I cant open my bonnet on VW transporter t5 2.5. I can see the end of the cable has come away from the catch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2007 2.5 tdi combi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. I've got it raised on ramps and have reached up as far as I can i can't get my head around how to manually release the catch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think thats about all cheers

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/8/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you can see the catch from underneath it may be possible to reach up with a long screwdriver to flip the lock

however this is not easy and sometimes the solution is to break the plastic grill so you can reach through from the front and feel for the catch that way

one thing might be worth trying first is to remove the bonnet pull handle and see if you can get any extra pull on the cable

but if its popped out at the bonnet end then the screwdriver method is the usual fix

once you do get it open secure the end of the outer cable/plastic moulding with 2 very small cable ties to stop it drifting out again unnoticed.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt