UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Instrument cluster stopped working after took out and put…

Instrument cluster stopped working...

Instrument cluster stopped working after took out and put back fuse 42

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

No was in garaage as they hadn’t fixed the dash lights and clock not working and I had read fuse 42may be problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1998 clk convertible 200

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

No was in garage came home as think need to call Mercedes as read they replace under 10year old dashboards under warranty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Actually I have to go out for an hour to collect kids from school will be back in an hour Thanks my emailmi

3/8/2018
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert

Hi, my name is*****'m not quite understanding the problem. Can you explain exactly what it is that you are trying to repair?

Ok first off a week ago I found cigarette lighter socket not working as sat NAV not working, I rarely use this, that night on starting car 5pm at start of a 100 mile journey noticed clock wasn’t working, as it got dark, realised dashboard lights not working. Took car to garage who said fixed lighter socket but thought dash lights ok, anyway they aren’t. So took back there today, suggested to them it might be fuse 42, they took it out and put back and whole instrument panel dead now, no Speedo etc, let alone original problem of clock and dashboard lights
Hello?

I am still here

I don’t want to do over phone as I am not a mechanic

Can you post the 17 digit vin number for me?

Wdb2094412T104545

Thanks, ***** ***** was listed as a 1998 in your original post. It wasn't making sense. I see no that it is a 2008 model.

Fuse 42 is the only fuse for the cluster. Have them double check and make sure they put the fuse back in the correct slot. I've attached a fuse box diagram below. If the fuse is in the correct slot and the fuse is good and there is power to the fuse the problem would have to be with the cluster itself. They can try removing the fuse for 30 minutes or so then reinsert it and see if the cluster comes back to life. Otherwise it looks like the cluster will need replacing. I'm thinking they may have put the fuse back incorrectly or the fuse is no good.

They replaced the fuse with a new one already

Make sure its in the correct slot and that the fuse has power. If the fuse is in the correct slot and the fuse is good and there is power to the fuse the problem would have to be with the cluster itself. They can try removing the fuse for 30 minutes or so then reinsert it and see if the cluster comes back to life. Otherwise it looks like the cluster will need replacing.

Ok I actually took fuse out when I got home as I’d read what you suggest on line and just ran out and put it back and magic, all working, thank you!

Excellent!

Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Saved a load of dosh here!