UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's misfiring. The spark plugs have been replaced. A new…

Customer Question
It's misfiring. The spark...

It's misfiring. The spark plugs have been replaced. A new coil has been put in and it's still misfiring. It's a 2003 vw beetle with a 2.0 litre engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

82k miles. It's a random misfire. It's been 'fixed' three times, runs ok for a while before the engine management light comes on and then it starts to misfire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I only bought the Beetle in November last year. The garage who sold it to me, specialises in VW Beetles and has done for years. It's under warranty and he's fixing it. however, he's perplexed by this latest issue and doesn't know why it's still misfiring. I'm just trying to get some information that I might be able to pass on to him. He says the next thing he's going to do is look under the manifold cover.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that about covers it thanks.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/8/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: EuroDoc, Shop owner/technician replied 5 months ago
EuroDoc
EuroDoc, Shop owner/technician

Ok, so there are a couple of important pieces of info I will need to know first:

1) What are the exact fault codes that are stored? Either in Pxxxx for VAG 5-digit format are fine. Both hard faults and pending (intermittent) would be best.

2) What is the VIN?

3) What sort of equipment is being used to scan? I'm hoping since they sell and work on a lot of these, that's it's VCDS.

Hi there, I'll have to contact the mechanic and get back to you on this. Will do so later on today. many thanks

No problem at all. I'll be alerted when you respond.