UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My renault megane automatic won't start and i can't get the…

Customer Question
My renault megane automatic...

My renault megane automatic won't start and i can't get the gear stick to move and message d3 comes up on the dashboard.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The car is old and i don't know where the brake switch is

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Renault?

Its a Renault Megane Year 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have been driving it everyday for the past couple of years including last night which no sight of a problem, all i have tried to turning the engine over which it won't and tried to get the gear stick to move

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/8/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 4 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the shifter cable or linkage jammed up.This causes the gear stick movement issue your seeing as well as the d3 message.This also causes the no start if the computer sees the gear box/transmission in d3 or thinks it's in d3.

What has to be done is to have the shifter cable/linkage checked for any issues.Any issues found with the linkage or cable will have to be repaired to correct this fault.In some cases, this requires replacing the shift cable ( as equipped ) to resolve this fault here.

But this does have to be inspected further to locate which is the cause then repaired from there to resolve the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete