UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pathfinder 2.5Dci manual Dec 2005 100k miles on the clock.

Pathfinder 2.5Dci manual Dec...

Pathfinder 2.5Dci manual Dec 2005 100k miles on the clock. Become difficult to start from cold - cranks on for ages ... UNLESS ... I cycle the ignition on/off 3 or 4 times (leaving 5 secs for each on 7 off) before cranking the engine, in which case it starts fine. Engine start/heater switch is turned on. Runs fine once started and will start fine again even if left for several hours. Next day back to same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Yes - coolant fine & no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pathfinder?

Dec 2005 manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not tried anything - looked on a few blogs and can't find clear diagnosis

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think I've given you everything I know about the issue

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

Okay you need to check the glow plug system ,

What you are actually doing is giving the glow plugs more time to get hot so the engine will start.

Few things that maybe your issue one or more glow plugs are weak or dead.

The time of glow is to short ,possible engine temp sensor malfunction .

You need to get hooked up to a good diagnostic scan tool and check for glow system malfunction codes .

Also if no codes go to live data and check for glow time .

If you notice the glow plug warning light comes on and goes out with in a second or two check live data you may see that it is in fact glowing a bit longer ,sign of bad glow plugs .

If the vehicle is high mileage i would just replace the glow plugs first before paying for diagnostic as this is the most common issue.

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Thx Greg - wondered about the glow plugs, but wasn't sure how that sits with the fact that even if it only runs for a few seconds once started (I.e. never gets warm) it will start fine 5-6 hours later ... cos that made me think it wasn't Glow plugs. Only gets difficult to start again after a day or so? Tho do agree glow plugs prob cheapest option to try first!!
Also (sorry - just thinking this though) - if I do crank it on until it starts without cycling the ignition - I'd expect a fair bit of smoke from the unburnt fuel ... which I don't seem to get.

Okay good info, now after hearing that no smoke on start after long crank puts me on to the possibility of the fuel filter housing valve ,looks like the fuel is draining back down to the tank .

Next start pump the filter full and then start ,if she sparks right up replace the filter housing .

Rgds Greg

Hi Greg - also tested each glow plug on electric meter since last msg (all reading at 1.3 ohms ... so thinking they are ok?). Other than cycling the ignition a few times, how do I "pump the filter full" ?
OK - ignore last question re primer - found priming button on top of the filter housing ... deerrh .. should have checked! (Sorry!) Will try tomorrow when problem has had time to recur.

Okay sounds good lets hope that's the problem ,its pretty Common issue the primer failing and lettin the fuel drain back.

Greg

Hi Greg - I have seen your previous post but don't know why that does not show at your end. Noticed a loose screw on smaller unit mounted on top front of filter housing whilst priming this morning. Rectified but need to allow another day to test impact of this (if any). And final test is really to leve for a few days as problem is so slow to occur. Will update Friday morning after test start.
Hi Greg - not good news I'm afraid - pumped the primer 8-10 times & tried to start without joy. Pumped another 5-6 times & tried again - still without joy. Cycled the ignition twice ... and it started! HOWEVER - the priming pump whilst feeling some resistance never seems to go solid as I would expect when it reaches full/clears the backed up air. What do you think? ... Possible fault with the primer itself? or are they all like that ? ... or where next? I think I mentioned that I did check the Glow plugs & they all showed between 1.2-1.3 ohms resistance ... and the glow plug light stays on for around 5 secs before extinguishing once ignition is turned on. Peter

you need to keep pumping until hard ,this can take 40 pumps or more, and if does not get hard then the pump is faulty .

Greg

Nope - never goes any firmer. Ordered replacement filter assembly & filter cartridge. Will update again when fitted & tested ... prob Mon/Tues. Fingers crossed. Thx

Good all the best with this .

One question did you ever check for any malfunction codes ?

Greg

Nope - do I not need specialised equipment to do that? ... or can any repair shop do that?

Yes a good scan tool for OBD II .

Greg.

Yes most repair shop will have this scan tool ,today shops with out this tool can not function unless

its a custom oldtimer restoration shop .

Greg

OBD2 scanners cheaper than I thought - will pick one up off Ebay! Thx Nissan failed to deliver Filter Assembly today (despite promising) so going to be Tuesday to pick up now - wont have further info on progress until wednesday

No problem i will be here .

Thanks for update .Rgds Greg

Hi Greg - I am cancelling my trial membership which may result in any further interaction being terminated - so this is just to let you know that it is not because of your service the comments that I put on my cancel request were ... "Don't like 'membership' terms/costs - website is very obscure about price costs ... and that is never a good sign! Took me ages to find out what membership would cost. No problem regarding the question or responses - Greg's support was fine! (although in a very pushy & annoying way, the site keeps saying I haven't read the response when I have). If you want to have my custom - you need be clearer upfront about your costs of membership !!

Okay no problem, you can just stay and keep the site as a use when needed, without membership .

Rgds Greg

New diesel filter & filter housing/assembly fitted without improvement. Had glow plugs & glow plug circuit tested at nearby auto factors ... both fine. Any further suggestions? (& it is booked into local garage for diagnosis/reading of fault codes tomorrow)

Was the glow plug duration time checked as some fail and switch off after a few seconds not giving time to glow ,

But this can be checked with the scan tool in live data and also check for any relevant malfunction codes .

With today's new vehicles without a good scan tool you need many hrs of testing to find the problem .

With a scan tool you need minutes .

Let me know what fault codes they find .

And go into live data and ask them to check the on time of the glow plugs .

Greg

Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Hi Greg - sorry for long delay ... but as problem took a day to occur testing is always going to take a while! No fault codes showing - repair shop cleaned fuel pressure release valve & I bled air from the filter assembly having temporarily replaced pipes with clear plastic ones so I could see what's happening (& it never seemed to clear all the air away) & now starts first turn! Many thx for your contributions.