UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Jeep SRT8. I stored for over a year outdoors…

Hi Brad, I have a...
Hi Brad, I have a 2007 Jeep SRT8. I stored for over a year outdoors and didn't move it at all. After I started using it again I had a loud drone/humming noise at speeds over 90mph, rebuilt the Tcase and diff but nothing changed. I even removed the Tcase motor to switch off 4WD and the noise was identical. where should I start looking? bearings? transmission? etc.. Thanks alot!
Answered in 1 day by:
3/3/2018
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert
I would put the vehicle on 4 jack stands and have somebody drive it in gear while you use a screwdriver or mechanics stethoscope to listen to the wheel bearings by touching the stethoscope or screwdriver to the knuckle near the bearing and hub. More than likely it's a wheel bearing problem.But also use the stethoscope to listen to the transmission, the front differential, and the rear differential in the same manner.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name that's the only way that's I will compensate me for my time you will still be able to ask follow-up questions after hitting accept.
DubAutowerks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** is very smooth up to 80 mph, the drone/hum starts at 90mph and the faster I go the louder it comes. there is also a slight " Zzzz " noise. the rebuild of differential and transfer case did not solve it. is there any test I can do while driving to confirm? I took to many mechanics and nobody was able to fix it so I prefer to ask them to replace the defective part without further troubleshooting as it lead to nothing for over 3 years.
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks