UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have diesel van 2008.its emitting lot of black smoke but…

Hi.i have diesel van...

Hi.i have diesel van 2008.its emitting lot of black smoke but apart from slight loss of power,it starts first time and runs ok and no warning lights showing.ive noticed that hoses from intercooler have oil from joints in pipes have oil/fuel leaking out and some signs of oil from intercooler itself...change intercooler and hoses ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No,not changed either

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Citroen relay 2.2 diesel van,100 bhp.2008.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Finances forcing me to do it myself.i tried a chemical fuel system cleaner,before I noticed intercooler pipes leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm fairly certain that the cause is intercooler/pipes but hoping it's not turbo!but as I said,other than smoke and slight increase in fuel consumption,it runs ok,have noticed from time to time slight knocking,similar to linking on petrol engine but only lasts few seconds and it usually happens when first pulling aways.

2/19/2018
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin the black smoke indicates an air leak in most cases .this can be leaking externally or an internal leak .i would first inspect all intercooler and hoses for any cuts or splits .the only real way to check this 100% is to get car smoke tested .this involves filling intake with a thick white smoke that is clearly visible if there is an external leak .the second possibility is the egr valve not being closed correctly allowing extra air in from exhaust .this again can be tested with a smoke machine .

Wouldn't egr fault show engine management light?I don't have any warning lights.theres signs of oil from 2 joints on intercooler hoses and the intercooler itself has a small sign of oil from hole in find and some oil from weld along bottom.the oil from hoses looks like it's under pressure as it's sprayed out oil on to engine .

Oil shouldnt leak from the hoses you will always get a small amount .egr wont always put warning light on .if i can get reg number i can cionfirm if on your vehicle it would illuminate warning

Hi kev (I'm Kevin too,my apologies for not saying hi and introducing myself)).
Reg CX58XUL.theres not a lot of oil/fuel from pipes or intercooler,I haven't had any oil on floor under engine but I first noticed oil couple months back but van wasn't smoking then,so it's been leaking a while and it does look like a 'spray',being forced out under pressure.i thought at first egr was culprit so I tried chemical system cleaner(into fuel tank)but it's made no difference,maybe even a little less power if anything.

Ok yes in most cases the egr would cause a warning to be actiuve but not always .have you have system scanned for fault codes

Hi kev,no,not had that done.tell you the truth I've just got back working after fall in work,I'm self employed, so keeping costs down.occasionaly,when starting up and first pulling away,there's slight rattle for just couple seconds,bit like 'pinking'on petrol engine but it is only very occasionally and just couple seconds .

The difficulty you have is we can only go on guessing .the black smoke suggests an air leak into system in most cases .this causes reduced pressure and overfueling .the pinking you can hear is diesel knock and would also tally up with this .do you hear any other different noises when driving especially under load ?

Not really,apart from heavy black smoke and bit of an increase in fuel consumption and feeling slightly 'flat',no oomph,it's running ok.ehst I'm afraid of, is something like blown turbo seals causing it but no noises like turbo failing or anything dramatic,just heavy black smoke and feeling bit lack luster but not excessively so.
What is the 'internal'air leak you mentioned.
Internal air leak is egr open it means although the valve is supposed to be closed air is still getting in so it’s unmetered meaning the engine control doesn’t know it’s there so doesn’t adjust fuelling to it causing smoking
Ok kev.so,on balance of probabilitys,leaking intercooler pipes and slight leaking from the intercooler,is this most likely culprit?as I said,my main worry is problem with turbo itself.if I change intercooler,is it just sir cooled?or when I take it and/or hoses off,is it going to piss water out?I could probably change egr myself if that was problem but turbo would be beyond me.

Ok the intercooler is purely air cooling no coolant involved .i would recommend spending £50 just getting intake smoke tested for leaks before you spend out on parts that arent needed this will rule out alot of possibilities including the egr from there we only really have electrical issues as causes and the turbo

Ps,if internal leak and egr not throwing up any warning lights, is it case of taking egr off and inspecting it?

Yes pop egr off and just ensure it is closing fully . We fill them with brake cleaner and see if it leaks past .to be honest its normally pretty obvious when you get them out if they are stuck open or not

Thanks for your time kev.hoping not turbo.had conflicting advice re turbo,some told me they can't be repaired and it's replacement others that they can be repaired,which is it?

Turbos can be repaired only use reputable companies or get it done through your parts supplier so you get a decent warranty if you have to get it done

Ok mate,thanks.ill get smoke test done first.
Much appreciated.

No problem let me know how you get on and if you need anything else at all.please remember to rate my service

Will do.if I come back on this site,will I be directed straight to you?or do I have to put your details in?

If you log back into your account this question will still be there you can continue your chat from there

Thanks,I'll let you get back to your evening.

No problem

Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic