UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Peugeot 308 has 2 issues which maybe related. Firstly…

Customer Question
My Peugeot 308 has...

My Peugeot 308 has 2 issues which maybe related. Firstly after starting it will run and be fine for approx. 15mins then suddenly the temp will shoot up to overheat and the stop light comes on. If I turn on the fans to full it will then cool down in about 30s and maintain at normal. However with this done you cannot push it above 60 for any length of time or it will go back up. The cooling fans stays on for 10mins or so after the car is turned off. In addition I have a depollution warning message that comes on and now the car has trouble starting and sometimes seems to do it on 2-3 cylinders. If I turn off the car and restart this often rectifies itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Cololant is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 307?

Old model 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 307 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just dropped it in which "peugot specialist who said on phone it might be head gasket but no other normal symptoms for this

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
2/16/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this is possibly a faulty thermostat or water pump so I'd begin by replacing the thermostat with a new one

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.

If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and as a fix for internal leaks I’ve found this product works very well, without clogging heater matrixe’s

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

it doesn’t last forever though

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt