UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vw mk 1 boiling hot no fuel came thro. All well this

Vw mk 1 carburetor...

Vw mk 1 carburetor boiling hot no fuel came thro

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

All well this evening. this happened at the heat of day. Had to keep pouring gas into carb until it started again. running well in the cool of day

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 vw chico 1400

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

After this happened 3 weeks ago There was no need until today to do anything. Have flushed out and replaced the coolant. also oil change. fuel and airfilter replace. then today it did it again . drove over a mountain for 20 miles with no further problem. But the carb was boiling hot when it cut out

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Runs well. only happened twice.three weeks apart and on very hot days 30 deg C.

2/14/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

On your vehicle was there any repairs to the fuel system ? Heat shields removed . Is the fuel lines near any hot exhaust?

any recent accidents?

Thanks

the car is standard no accidents no repairs no problem for 10 years. The fuel filter had no petrol in when the car
chocked off. That was why I poured petrol down the carb. This had to be done many times before it started.
Yesterday it was bubbling over when I did this and very dangerous but in the end it drove smoothly and well.
Last night it was great driving in the city . no prob.Temp gauge was norm and fuel tank full when it cut out.Only thing was the 30 deg hot day. All other traffic were OK.

thanks for the extra information . I do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information to assist

thanks

Will do. But in the meantime i checked the thermostat and its fine. Also checked that water was circulating in the inlet manifold below the carb. Oil levels correct Antifreeze correct . Petrol squirts well in carb when pedal pressed. Car idles smooth like a sewing machine. Fuel filter new. Air filter new. Fuel consumption perfect.
v7771776u029986* Two digits at the front not clear. Thanks for your trouble.

ok sorry for my late reply . hard to find info on your citi golf (chico) . there is a chance the fuel pump mounted either on the block or head is your issue where it gets hot causing not to extract fuel from the fuel tank .

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech
Thanks . I came to that conclusion as well so I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a replacement brand that I have used before (from China) . Today I did a 100 km trip in thirty deg here in Cape Town no prob. The design of the cowl for the radiator fan prevents air from blowing onto the fuel pump. Three days earlier it started spluttering on a very hot day and I poured water over the fuel pump and the can above to cool it down and it worked straight away. A fan blowing onto this part of the engine could help. Thanks for your help. I also googled overheating mk 1 fuel pump. No more questions.

my pleasure and stay safe!!