UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 V50 unable to start - due to steering lock message.

2007 V50 unable to...

2007 V50 unable to start - due to steering lock message

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes - everything ok (recent new battery) just get three clicks (like a relay) when the key is inserted then the steering lock message - try turning the steering wheel have done this - still no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V50 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just about to take it apart and look. Have looked at youtube and have a clue that the steering lock motor on the steering column could be the problem

1/22/2018
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is the electronic steering lock fails.When it fails or acts up it prevents starting of the vehicle as you are seeing here.What usually has to be done is the lock motor assembly has to be replaced.In some cases, you can tap on the lock and it may release and work temporarily to get it started but it does need to be replaced.The steering lock has to be programmed when replaced and this usually has to be done by a dealer or shop that has access to programming.Below is the procedure on how to access and replace it.It may be opposite ( LH drive compared to your model but is the same procedure).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu3jth8f0a87467/sl-01-22.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Hi Pete, Thanks for the info. Would you be able to supply the other documents mentioned, please:
Remove the sound proofing
Remove the steering column covers
Remove the combined instrument panelIf I can remove the faulty part, I have a mobile mechanic who may be able to get the new part reprogrammedmany thanksNeil TurnerPS Where are you based?

Here is the sound proofing info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyk2dkkgghzbl1m/sp-01-22.pdf?dl=0

Here is the steering column cover info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vh4guc0kt85853/sc-01-22.pdf?dl=0

Here is the combined instrument panel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ooocir4ns6j0w44/ic-01-22.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Pete