UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Swooshing noise behind dashboard of fiat panda, 2-3 months.

Swooshing noise behind dashboard...

Swooshing noise behind dashboard of fiat panda

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

2-3 months. performance of the car is normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Fiat?

Fiat panda 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went to a local mechanic’s who said it was dirt all around the bonnet but it isn’t, the noise is still there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, temperature is ok, the car works fine, it’s just the noise of water

1/20/2018
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin in most cases this is caused by the drains below the wiper area being blocked and this area then filling with rain water

I cannot see any water being blocked running below the wipers, this is what the mechanic said but the area is dry. Can’t it be air in the coolant?

Ok if this is clear then it wont be that when does noise occurr ?

When the engine is started, when I brake, when the car stops. The brakes work fine, no problem with that

This type of noise when car is first starter would indicate a cooling system issue ,if it was water stuck in car it would happen under acceleration and when turning

I think t is a cooling system issue. is it easy to fix? I read on other forums it is generally air in the cooling system. How do I get rid of it?

Has level dropped at all ?

no, it hasn’t. The temperature never went beyond the middle, there is no loss of power in the engine

Diffecult because in theory there should be no air in system if you havent lost any coolant .i dont belive this is corrently something to be concerned about .also when air con is running do you get water dripping under vehicle ?

I never noticed any wated dripping. I will check now again the level of the coolant now

Ok

it is actually below min. so there could be a leak

Ok this could indeed be your issue i would first have system pressure tested to try and locate the location of leak

i’d like to try and top up first to make sure if there is a leak. I’ e got super coldmaster concentrate is it 50-50 dilution?

Yes that will be fine to add

then if the level drops the pressure check needs to be done by a mechanic right?

Correct doesnt take long around half an hour to pressurise system and see if it holds pressure

thanks a lot Kevin that’ll do
No problem let me know how you get on and please rate my service
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic