UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Ford kuga 2012 2l engine malfunction light when i go on slip…

Hi ford kuga 2012...

Hi ford kuga 2012 2l engine malfunction light when i go on slip road up to motorway ,looses power ,worried as i bring mother and daughter to hospital appointmanets

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Nothing like that engine malfunction light then car skidding yellow alert and power drops

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '12 Ford?

Ford kuga titanium 4 x 2 tdci 140 thanks for this

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I dont know much about cars will have to bring it in somewhere to fix based in essex ,work in romford live in rayleigh

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

June 2017 had oil change and filters changed

1/19/2018
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

from your description I'd say this could just be a blocked fuel filter or a sticking EGR valve neither of which are costly to repair

but get the code next as it will save a lot of time

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Matt, Mechanical Engineer