UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have mercedes b180cdi 2007 with all glow plugs showing…

Customer Question
I have mercedes b180cdi...

I have mercedes b180cdi 2007 with all glow plugs showing open circuit all plugs are new plus relay / control unit is new hard start in mornings seems no glow plugs coming on

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Starting is difficult

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Mercedes?

B class

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also a charge pressure fault code 2359-001 check system charge pressure control charge pressure is too low

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/17/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you haven't already then I'd check the state of the engine earth connections as if they are corroded or a poor connection then the glow plugs will struggle to turn on as they do pull a lot of current

I'd also check the power connection from the glow plug relay to the battery and measure the resistance of the wire to ensure its not been damaged and overheated by a poor connection

anything more than 2-3 ohms and the wiring will need to be replaced

regarding the pressure charge fault then

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump /or turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

The dump valve is on the turbo boost air (post compressor) side its there to blow off or 'dump' the excess boost pressure you get when you close the throttle ( like just before a gear change)
the important thing with a dump valve is that it seals properly when its not being operated if the valve has a torn seal or a broken spring then it'll blow off before it should and you'll lose boost pressure

this video shows how you can test it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRaGg06m7s

as for the wastegate then this is on the exhaust side and 1st thing to check is if the wastegate 'penny' or flap can be fully seated
if you remove the wastegate actuator and then look inside the turbo exit you'll see the wastegate penny moving back and forth as you move its arm if you smear a little grease or engineers blue onto the face of the penny and snap it shut and reopen it you shoudl hopefully see the seal line all around the penny

if thats OK you can then test the wastegate actuator with compressed air to check its opening up this shows if its going to be able to control boost
this video shows how ( from about 2 mins in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=178&v=NN1Hs3L0YYc

and to check the spring ( is it blowing off too early) you need a spring balance or some other method of measuring the spring force as shown in the previous video

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hello Matt the earths are okay plus the power supply is okay and not reading high resistance this car has glow plug control unit as supposed to conventional glow plug relay
UK Auto Mechanic: Lou P, UK Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic

Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou

can you tell me what scan tool you are using and all of the fault codes that you have and their descriptions?