UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The external lights have remained on after the car is

Customer Question
The external lights have...

The external lights have remained on after the car is locked. I have switched the lights off inside on the dial.?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Side lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Dy13

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

13.?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The lights are turned off on the dail inside and the internal lights are off, it just seems to be the side lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/17/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to an internal electrical fault with the park light relay as most models use a park light relay to switch on and off the park lights on the outside of the vehicle.I have seen this relay fail to cause this issue.If your model is not equipped with this relay then it would usually use a control module/ecu like a lamp control module to help operate these lights and this module can act up/fail internally as well causing this type of fault here.

You will need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set then if any codes are set those codes need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.Electrical testing will also be needed to help identify the component needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete