UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My van won't start. Last week I changed the alternator as it…

Customer Question
My van won't start ...

My van won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Last week I changed the alternator as it was faulty, it started but after a minute or two the alternator belt snapped.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It was running but noisy. I stopped it while it was still running. Put a new belt next day but it won't start, changed the crankshaft sensor but no results. Nearly starts when I first turn the key but after that nothing. It is Vivaro 1.9 dti with Renault engine

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Renault?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I suspect the cam shaft belt slipped but it is ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I plugged it in to a scanner gave mi codes for crankshaft sensor glow plugs, when reset appeared code 180830

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/16/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 7 months ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

When you had the belt off did you check to make sure all the pulleys turned ok?

they are fine it was the belt which was due to change but as it was Sunday, most of the car parts around me were closed

OK does the engine turn over ok'?

it turns over fine as I suspected the cam belt slipped but it is ok

Im gonna opt out and let another expert help you here. I dont have proper diagrams on this one to do testing. Hang tight and someone else should be along soon.