UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have starting Problems with my STS sometimes. Battery

Customer Question
I have starting Problems...

I have starting Problems with my STS sometimes

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery fully charged Alternator ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your STS?

2008 I read a lot of this Problems in the internet If i disconnect the minus from the battery for a few secons secondes then it works fina after reconnecting

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Battery replacment Checking all the electric

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

. I disconnect the battery negative and it resets and allows me start the vehicle

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
Cadillac
Model STS 2008 V8 4.6 AWDDescription:
Occasionally, getting more frequent, it won't start. I enter, foot on brake, key in pocket, press Start, everything lights up as it should, but starter does not engage. When that happens, I can't start it at all even if I try buttons on remote, go out and in, etc.. The only thing that works is disconnecting the battery a few seconds. When I reconnect, the alarm sounds, I push Unlock on remote, go in and the car starts.Today I wanted to eliminate some possibilities. So I checked all connections, cleaned most of them. To check the battery I put a new battery in the trunk and cables to use next time it wouldn't start. I also wanted to put a jumper wire from starter relay to the plus on the battery to check the starter. I couldn't find space enough, but saw it was a thick purple wire. Found it in the fuse/relay box. And put a jumper wire in the trunk. So ready for next timeNext time was later in the day. So I pulled the extra battery from the trunk and connected. No start. Then I put the jumper wire from the battery to the purple wire, and the engine started. I could do that repeatedly as long as the car had the keys inside (I guess), but I still couldn't start using the Start button. Only when I at the end disconnected the battery and reconnected could I start with the Start buttonSo my conclusions, feel free to disagree:
-Battery is OK
-Starter is OK
-The key and/or Start button apparently engages the ignition, or the engine couldn't start
Could it be the Engine Control Modul ?
1/10/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible this is the engine computer causing this issue here.If you have not had the codes checked on all computers using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers in your model this needs to be done.Any codes set will then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.If you can get the fault codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thats not a solution, sry im not satsfied at all.
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago

Did you have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set in all computers in your model at all?

they check all at the offical gm dealer and they have not found any fault. Thats the reason I described it here. I guessed you can talk about your experience .... Know you similar cases ? What was the solution ?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago

I haven't run across this particular fault myself here.Let me open this up for others here so others here can see if they have come across this fault at all.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

UK Auto Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech replied 3 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech

Hi there, I am Cam

Reading through your information has brought up a question for me.
When it does not start, have you felt the top of the starter relay in the fuse block to see if that clicks when someone tries to start inside the vehicle?

About your conclusions so far, yes starter is fine, battery is good, security inside is obviously satisfied or it would not allow you to jumper it to start, this makes me thin there is an output issue, starter relay, wiring from fuse block to starter, that sort of thing.

Can you see if the relay clicks next, and if so then try this. remove the starter relay, use. a small wire to manually jumping the pins between terminal 30 and 87. The numbers are stamped on the bottom of the relay and they will be opposite corners to each other. See if the starter operates and the engine starts when it won't with the button.

Hello Csm
Thankyou for writing - i changed the starter relais at the beginning. And i didn‘t change anything. For me is the recognition is like the control status in a „sleep mode“ and is not come out from this. Then if I disconnect the battery the system does line a restart and works.
Regards Simon

OK, this is a broad question, do you have ANYTHING aftermarket installed?
The list is endless, but things like cell phone chargers plugged into the outlet, different headlight bulb, LED other bulbs, USB chargers, splitters or anything like that? I ask because the signals generated may interfere and cause this.

Also have you tried a full reset, taking the cables off the battery AND touching the ends of the cables together for 10 seconds?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech