UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The rear door won't open. I can hear it lock and unlock with…

Customer Question
Hi. The rear door...

Hi. The rear door won't open. I can hear it lock and unlock with the alarm and the central locking button in the car but the door handle is not realeasing the door

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

It's just started happening today, I have oiled it but it is still occuring. It's not solved

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

X-trail, 2003 model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have tried WD40 spray and manually locking and releasing the mechanism with a screwdriver, so I can see the movement and spray as much as possible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, i think that's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/8/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Jay, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Which door is it exactly? The rear Hatch or the Rear door?

Hi Jay, it's the hatch

I am not 100% sure, but is there a emergency release on the inside of the hatch? So you can open it?

I believe so, if I remove the panel from the inside of the hatch door there should be a mechanism to unlock the door but I don't know if this will actually open the door. I can hear the actual locking mechanism working or moving so I am bit dubious about it actually opening the door. (also, I have dog barriers up in the boot so I can't easily access the area).
This issue only started today and I have been able to oil the door clasp/lock mechanism when it does eventually open. But it's not currently allowing me to open it again and I really thought the oil/WD40 would have fixed the issue.

Here is the thing. You could have a bad door latch actuator. That is most likely the issue. How ever, if the door is closed on something, it can do the same thing. So what I would suggest is to see if you can open it so ensure nothing is in the way. If it's clear, then you will need to replace the hatch lock actuator. It is not able to fully cycle.