UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 03 rwd 2.4 transit tipper. I can't get it into gear…

Customer Question
Hi I have 03...

Hi I have 03 rwd 2.4 transit tipper. I can't get it into gear when it's running. I have to ram it into gear and with the clutch pedal still down it starts moving slightly. I have had the clutch and slave cylinder changed about 2 months ago. Please help thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No not slipping. When shift up it crunches in.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram?

Not sure how do I check

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's not my ram it's my gears

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/8/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Gallagher99, Ford senior technician replied 7 months ago
Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician

Hi there , good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you Today

can you select gear no problem with engine off

How does the clutch pedal feel

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi Brian
Yes it goes into gear but not as we'll as it should and it also makes a slight clucking sound from the gear box.
The clutch pedal feels ok.

Hi thanks ok so to confirm

The gears don't feel right with engine off and feel really notchy when engine running

Regards ***** *****

Brian

No when it's running I have to ram it in gear but when it is in it drives fine and then to change gear i have to ram it into the next gear

Hi thanks

Ok if gear selection is very difficult when the engine is running then this indicates the clutch isn't clearing properly

The first thing to try in this case would be to bleed the hydraulic clutch system firstly in case there is an air lock in the system this causes the slave cylinder to not extend fully thus the clutch doesn't clear

Also check the brllhousing between the gearbox and engine for any fluid leaks as this would indicate a leaking slave cylinder (somr earlier transits have an external slave cylinder which pushes the clutch fork

In my experience this sounds like a slave cylinder /hydraulic issue as when the clutch is on the floor the vehicle wants to move forward

Hi There , no worries

Ok here is the radio code you requested for your audio unit is

If you need further help or technical assistance on this issue going forward

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this helps to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Brian

How do I bleed the hydraulic clutch system also I had the slave cylinder changed when I had the clutch done about 2 months ago could it go that quickly.

You need to fill the master cylinder with brake fluid

then open the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder (connect a bottle with some brake fluid in it and a clear hose then pump the clutch pedal till there is no air coming out of hose (should be fluid only )

Personally I would be returning the vehicle to whoever carried out the work as if they have used cheaper parts it could well be another slave cylinder failure

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi there good evening to you

How did you get on with our clutch issue

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi Brian
Sorry have been away. I bled the system and started to work great but then it went again after a day and a half so I bled it again and goes again after about a day and a half.
Thanks
UK Auto Mechanic: Gallagher99, Ford senior technician replied 6 months ago

Hi there no worries

Ok if you bleed system and it's ok then fault returns then we must suspect an issue with either the external slave or clutch master cylinder ie : drawing air both are imperative parts of the clutch hydraulic system

With the fault present clamp the hose before the slave cylinder to see if the pedal feel changed if it does the. The slave cylinder should be suspected

If it stays the same the clutch master cylinder should be replaced

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian