UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Kia Ceed 3. After a few miles driving the ESP…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Kia Ceed 3. After a few miles driving the ESP light comes on and the Rev counter goes to zero. Today the engine management light came on too. Do you recognise the symptom?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

No It comes on after driving a few miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Kia?

Ceed 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, and nothing.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/9/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The ESP light can come on for a failure specific to the ESP system but if it only comes on at the time the tach drops then it's going to be related to that. The ESP system relies on the ability to request torque from the engine as necessary and there is an engine problem that would prevent that then the ESP light will come on due to an engine performance concern.

It's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on but you most likely are losing crank sensor signal, which would usually be caused by a failure of the sensor itself. The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there based on what is found.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.