UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All gone dead wont answr to key fob and cant get key in to…

Customer Question
All gone dead wont...

All gone dead wont answr to key fob and cant get key in to drivers door - guess its just never been used was working fine until Friday last week - my partner drove back with it fine - battery is showing about 15 volts so not dead as I first thought but just nothing - can open boot with key and alarm sounds for a while but cannot open any other door - gonna try climbing through the boot later to unlock at least one door also I cant get under the bonnet as the cable release broke last week also - waiting to get a slot to get that fixed

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Its a relatively new battery only changed last year and have had no problems before now I have a battery tester which shows 15 volts but shows weak when put underload - I have the battery on charge now just to see if that helps

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Its a 2003 jaguar s type automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its an 's' type and not apart from checking battery and charging don't know too much else about the electrical systems on the jag

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does he know how to pray lol

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
1/7/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could have quite a few different things going on. The problem may be the fob itself but there may be a deeper issue on the vehicle. I question the battery's integrity.

You can't have 15v on a resting battery so I'm not sure if that is an inaccurate reading or if you checked with a charger in place. You mentioned it dropping under a load but I'm unsure how the load was applied.

How are you loading the battery and what does the voltage drop to at that time?