UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Yellow light and P0101. Engine Failure. P0101 is a bad Mass…

Customer Question
Yellow light and P0101 ...

Yellow light and P0101

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Engine Failure. P0101 is a bad Mass airflow sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2005 sonata 2,4 GLS Aut.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the MAF sensor. The same error. Bad idle,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The sig nal from The MAF Sensor is 0 Volt.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/5/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So this sounds like it may be a wiring issue, I would trace the wire back as far as you can, you will have to cut some tape and loom to follow it back further to inspect of there is any damage to the wires, they like to rub bad spots in them

Can you tell me what i should messure on the 5 pins that connect the MAF sensor?
I guess that Pin 3 is the output?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21os1hl3i1zaiov/fri5.docx?dl=0

This will tell you everything you need to know on how to check it

Thanks for the diagram.
Seems to be at Little confusion. My car is a Hyundai Sonata MK V. 2,4 aut. 2005-2010 engine G4KC. 4 cyl.

yeah if you have 2.4 thats it

I Have a Air temperature senser mounted between Pin 1 and 5 on my MAF unit.

I guess my document dosent line up ill open this up to the other techs to assist

UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the sensor has truly been ruled out then you do have a wiring issue.

The mass airflow sensor signal wire is in 1, IAT is pin 5. You're not concerned with pin 5.

You mentioned no signal from the MAF sensor but not how that was determined. Can you elaborate on exactly what was done?

Helo again.
I have a MAF sensor from Siemens with a 5 pin connector.Pin 1 = 0V (common)
Pin 2 = 12V
Pin 3 = 0,01 V
Pin 4 = 0V (common)
Pin 5 = 4V (IAT)I meassure the Volts With a DC multimeter, 5pol plug connected and the engine running.
I get a yellow Engine light on the board and my bluetooth Viecar/Torque tells me that my MAF sensor is the problem.
I guess i should meassure a voltage about 1 - 2 Volt at the output from the MAF sensor.
I need to know where the leads were placed when you believed you tested the sugnal.
That should say 'signal', I'm unable to edit it.
I have the plug normally inserted into the MAF sensor unit.
But where are you placing test leads?
If you mean the leads on my multimeter, the Black one is on the negative pole on the battery and the red is the one i use to meassure the Volts.

And what are you doing with the red lead?

I am measuring the volts on the Pin 3 of The MAF sensor Plug. The one that I expect to be the output pin.

Pin 3 is the IAT ground. As I mentioned pin 1 is the mass airflow sensor signal.

Are you sure you are looking at the correct Electric wiring diagram?

I'm looking at the diagram from the factory service information for the vehicle information provided.

I am in Denmark. Could there be a difference ,

There should be no difference.

5WK9 6491 Siemens 28164-25000 is written on the unit.

Ok.

The sensor itself isn't of concern.

Where are you getting this information on terminal placement?

I can the reach the legs on IAT Thermistor inside the tube with my multimeter, and in the Ohm setting i can measure that they are conected to Pin 1 and Pin 5.

You don't need to be testing anything with both leads on the sensor.

I do it because i need to find out where to look for the output of the MAF sensor. I have no diagram.

Two of us with a diagram have attempted to help, and it appears the first person supplied you with one. The MAF signal wire is pin 1.

I am sure that Pin 1 and Pin 5 are for the IAT Thermistor.