UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2008 2.0 HDI. I live in France and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2008 2.0 HDI. I live in France and brought the vehicle from the UK. A couple of weeks ago I drive about 60 miles, parked up to go and buy something and when I came out 20 mins later all I got was click when trying to start the vehicle. It was recovered and it was found to be the 20amp starter fuse which was replaced. A week ago the same thing happened but this time the fuse had not blown. Once again the car was recovered and once the vehicle was off the low loader they tried it and it started grrrr.The garage that recovered the vehicle has just replaced the dual mass flywheel for the conversion kit and found that the starter motor was full of clutch dust. Could this be the cause of the problem or should I look elsewhere, regards Mick.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

It was not doing any of that but I got quite a bad clunking sometimes when depressing the pedal. I have seen the old flywheel and the bolts inside it have had their tops ground away due to movement within the flywheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The vehicle has 108,000 on the clock and the clutch fitted by a local garage. He can not work out why the vehicle does not start sometimes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time, I picked up the vehicle earlier and its running fine and starts first time!!!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/5/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is clutch dust in the starter this can damage the starter over time and can cause it to draw too many amps or short out causing the fuse to blow in some cases or not blow and the starter not engaging.

You can try and have the dust blown out to see if this resolves the fault here but most likely the starter will need to be replaced as it sounds like it is intermittently shorting out causing this fault.I have seen the starters act up like this here before in the past and had to replace the starter for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete