UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2009 pontiac vibe overheats when on highway but cools…

Customer Question
My 2009 pontiac vibe...

My 2009 pontiac vibe overheats when on highway but cools down in traffic. I have changed the water pump and the thermostat has also been removed. What might be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

The overheating started about 3 months ago and i was told there was a leakage in the radiator tank which was fixed but persisted and the mechanic said it was the thermostat. It was removed and just two days ago the pump has also been changed becuase the mechanic said that could be the problem. However the problem is persistenting. Now it only overheats when i accelerate but when i am driving a low speed it does not

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No please

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/5/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like you have a clogged radiator or a blown head gasket, have either been checked?

I drive in Ghana, Africa

the radiator and gasket have both been checked

did they test the thermostat before installing it? Did they bleed the system?