UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

The Chevy Spark over heated. The head was skimmed. Piston…

Customer Question
The Chevy Spark over...

The Chevy Spark over heated. The head was skimmed. Piston rings was replaced. There is no [problem with starting and it does not smoke but it do not want to idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

The cooler/ heater pipe to console burst and was replaced. Does not overheat any more.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I am not fixing it myself. It is done by a qualified mechanic who services my cars after service plan expired.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Don't know what more information he needs.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Car
1/4/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propaneor brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open up as things expand with temperature so depending on how the leak occurs ( on a hose joint with a clamp expansion will help seal and on a vacuum hose expansion will make a leak worse) so leaks can be better or worse as the engine heats up.
1 vacuum leak path that you won't find with the above test is if the brake servo is leaking

so try clamping off servo hose to see if this has any effect

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading
Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer