UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Temperature is fluctuating - well the gauge says it is! 104k…

Customer Question
Temperature is fluctuating -...

Temperature is fluctuating - well the gauge says it is!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

104k and yes, also put a new thermostat in it today.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

02, 3.2 D-ID, Manual, shortwheelbase

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, it felt like it should be the thermostat but reading around, the sender and gauges also seem to play up. The recovery guy said the engine didn't seem over hot (he had an temp sensing gun - you the kind, you point and reads the surface temp)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much does this cost? ;-)

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Car
1/4/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 1 month ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the engine was reading a steady non over heating temp when manually checked the engine coolant temp sensor can cause this fault here.It can send a false signal on what temp the engine is and can fluctuate with the sender assembly needing to be replaced.If you have not had this tested to see if the sender needs replaced this needs to be done.In most cases, it is the sender needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Pete, is that a view based on a lot of experience with this model of vehicle? I only ask as they seem to have a few common faults.The radiator doesn't seem to get hot, according to the gauge it ls normal most of the time then it reports getting very hot very quickly and comes down very quickly. Putting the heater fan on seems to bring the temperature down.It does push coolant into the expansion tank.RgdsDan
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 1 month ago

If it does push coolant into the tank and turning on the heater does bring down the temp then it is intermittently over heating in fact.This won't be the temp sensor at fault.This is usually caused by either the thermostat sticking needing to be replaced or an issue with a restriction in the cooling system with the coolant system needing to be flushed out to resolve this fault here.

If you have not had the thermostat replaced I would have this done first.If this was done and did not correct the issue then I would have the cooling system flushed to clear out and remove any debris causing this fault.The thermostat failing is common.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli