UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Nissan 3L V6 4x4 Double Cab, and the tacho stopped…

Customer Question
I have a Nissan...

I have a Nissan 3L V6 4x4 Double Cab, and the tacho stopped working

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cab?

1989 think, during the hardbody or sani era

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I owned it since then. I picked up a main negative earth problem. I corrected it. No the tacho meter does not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to know whare the origen of the signal comes from, I am an electronics engineer so I can do the testing but i dont know what is the wire coulours an dont no what signals i need to get

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
Some more questions? Does the tacho signal come from the ECU or from a sensor in the distributor. What is the wire colors.
Where is the crank position sensor? Where is the Tacho sensor? What is their wire colors. What is the ecu signal output wire colours to the tacho? The 3 terminals on the tacho, what is + - and signal. What voltage or signal must I get on the tacho sinal input wire?
Where is the crank position sensor? Where is the Tacho sensor? What is their wire colors. What is the ecu signal output wire colours to the tacho? The 3 terminals on the tacho, what is + - and signal. What voltage or signal must I get on the tacho singal input wire?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Can you send me schematics please
1/4/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Jake, Auto Body Repairer replied 3 months ago
Jake
Jake, Auto Body Repairer
Hey there, thanks for the question.Tach signal on these old trucks should come from the ignition coil in the distributor if I remember correctly. Should be a small 4 pin plug on the back of the cluster that has the tach signal feed.Let me see what I can find literature wise on these old trucks. Not as easy to come by pre-94.
Dear Jake
There is only 4 multipin plugs that goes on to the cluster. The ones that goes into that blue printed circuit board
Here is the 4 cylinder manual. Different engine but same tach signal concept.http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Hardbody/d21_truck_1989.pdf
Dear Jake
There is only 4 multipin plugs that goes on to the cluster. The ones that goes into that blue printed circuit board.
If you can send me your email, I will send you the pics. I am having difficulty as to identify my model, here in South Africa
Dear Jake
If you can send me your email, I will send you the pics. I am having difficulty as to identify my model, here in South Africa.
I cannot identify the position of the sensors
UK Auto Mechanic: Jay, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your

Did you check to see if you can monitor rpms with a oscilloscope at the distributor?

Jay
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician