UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2012 Q5 3.0 TDi makes a coarse/whooshing noise when under…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. My 2012...

Hi Pearl. My 2012 Q5 3.0 TDi makes a coarse/whooshing noise when under load - even slight throttle opening. Its not present when not under load. It seems to come from the drivers side just the other side of the bulkhead. The local Audi dealer doesn't seem interested, but I'm thinking it could be an exhaust leak on the right-hand bank manifold or somewhere on the turbo pipework. Do you have any experience of this and therefore any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

As far as I know they are original - I've only had the car 6 months. My driving is mixed - with more enthusiasm when I'm alone! I only do 7000 mile a year or thereabouts, so there's quite a bit of local stuff.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

My first plan was to get it investigated and potentially fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. When younger I did all my own mechanical stuff including engine rebuild, but have grown a little lazy - but my pockets do have bottoms!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is another issue - The front end creaks at slow speed when turning, particularly to the left and with some brake. Again, the Audi dealer wasn't helpful and said it needed to be worse before they could investigate further. I'm thinking its either front anti roll bar bushes or top link bushes (a bit of internet diagnosis). The dealer did say there appeared to be nothing wrong with any joints.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
1/3/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: kyleskrautcar,
 replied 3 months ago
kyleskrautcar

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. I would thoroughly inspect the intake/boost system piping first, visually, preferably with a smoke test. If you have any scan equipment, you could also check the amount of desired boost vs actual and see if it is low. Typically, It will throw a check engine light with a boost leak, but you can have a audible one without enough loss to turn on the lamp. Hope this helps, thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Hi Kyle. I'm sure you appreciate that this doesn't really get me any further. I suppose I need to just go back to Audi and put them under some pressure.
Marty
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert