UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All of a sudden when my trunk is opened - in any of the

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden when my trunk is opened - in any of the three ways - it opens and the automatically and immediately closes at the top which I cannot change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

Have tried wd 40 on the hydraulic arms.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2010 GL 350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried much as I don't know what the problem is. It's opening fine but as soon as it gets to the top it swings close.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a way to override and make manual?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
Just following up. If there is an easy way for me to reset the powerlift and solve the problem that would be great. Otherwise I'd be happy for the time being to put the "system" into manual if that's possible.
Following up on the above query. Thanks.
1/1/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 6 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here it sounds like a fault with the lift pump or the control unit ( rear door control unit) causing this issue.There were some bulletins out on this model for pump and control unit failure needing replacement.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set than those codes can then be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.This has to be done with a compatible scan tool or computer that will plug into your model and can read all computers to see what codes are set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete