UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've just changed my battery as it died due to the cold

Customer Question
Hi, I've just changed...

Hi, I've just changed my battery as it died due to the cold weather, my climate control won't come on at all and I have an airbag light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Not on the driver side I haven't checked others

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

XF 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XF yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I've checked all the fuses everything seems fine, the car was perfect before the battery change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/31/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

You may have created a voltage surge when the battery was replaced as this can occur and can be common, unfortunately.This occurs when the cables are connected to the battery as it sends a surge through the cables causing a fault with the electronics like this here.If you have checked and made sure all fuses are good then this isn't a fuse issue.

What you can try and do here is disconnect the ground cable from the battery and reconnect it after about 5 minutes.This will reset the electronics.If these are still acting up like you see here then from here, you will need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set then those codes then diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.It is possible a body control unit/ecu has been damaged by the voltage surge but the codes would need to be read out to help locate which component for sure needs repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete