UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was looking for some assistance with a problem I am having…

Customer Question
Hi there I was looking...
Hi there I was looking for some assistance with a problem I am having with a fiesta 1.4 tdci non start
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
I have a 2003 fiesta 1.4 tdci I acquired with running issues.
Car was only firing on 3 cylinders and was very smokey.
I did a leak off check on the injectors and all were good.
I disconnected each injector and realised no engine note change when I disconnected number 2.
Any way got a second hand injector. Fitted it along with new injector seals. New leak of pipes.
Also fitted a new glow plug relay. Car was running perfect after repair. Smoke cleared after a few days as I suspected it was in burnt fuel in the exhaust due to previous faulty injector.
Then a few days later I went to car and it simply won’t fire. Turning over fine.
What is strange is now I can’t get any connection to OBD port. The port was working before as I was fault tracing on rough running.
Just wondering if this is why it won’t start. Thanks
Answered in 1 day by:
12/31/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the engine controller now does not communicate with a scan tool that's going to be related to the no start condition. If you were able to communicate with it correctly before and it will not communicate now that points to the ECM being down for whatever reason.

If the ECM isn't operational it could be an internal failure or it could be a loss of power or ground to it. Check fuses if you haven't already. If fuses are good then the next step would be to test the ECM powers and grounds to determine if the failure is internal or if it's down due to a wiring or power distribution issue.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.