UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2.5l Auto x-type and when I press the brake peddle…

Customer Question
Have a 2.5l Auto...

Have a 2.5l Auto x-type and when I press the brake peddle the dash lights up, not changed any bulbs but am occaisionally getting a loud clicking coming from under the gear shift j-box causing the breaklights to flash. goes away when driving with main light on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No, just assumed the fuses would be ok as the lights are coming on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your X-Type?

Its a 2002 2.5l Auto V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried removing each of the brake bulbs in turn but problem still persists, could it be the window break light ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all thanks, ***** ***** car savvy that's all.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you tell me whats lighting up on the dash ?

is there an error message

it would be worthwhile checking the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir also as this will turn on the warning light if its low

There are no warning lights coming on and no error messages, but the main dash lights and front side lights come on when the brake peddle is pressed. occaisionally when in Park there is a loud clicking that appears to be coming from under the gear shift J-box and the brake lights will flash without pressing the peddle. When the lights are put on main beam the issue goes away.
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago

Hello

that all sounds rather odd

I'd begin by checking the condition of the main battery connections and also the chassis earth connections where the battery earth lead is secured to the car body and engine block

all must be clean and corrosion free

then use a voltmeter to measure battery voltage with the engine off and again with the engine running

the 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climb to about 13.5V - this shows the alternator is working

then move onto the high power fuses in the engine bay fusebox, with the ignition off pull anything thats 30A or over and check the condition of the socket for corrosion and the fuse for cracks

if all this is OK then locate the body control module under the dash ( see diagram) and disconnect it and clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner spray ( do not use WD40)

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt