UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Glow plug light comes on when driving few seconds later cuts…

Customer Question
Glow plug light comes...

Glow plug light comes on when driving few seconds later cuts engine off. will restart straight away but few miles on does the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Orange heater plug light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 connect 1.8 td

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. tried nothing yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

to get the glow plug light come on then I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt