UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Pump not working on screen wash. I put plain water in a week…

Customer Question
Pump not working on...

Pump not working on screen wash. I put plain water in a week ago and it must have frozen.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

Theres plenty of pinkj wash in there now. we drove for a few miles then added proper screen wash.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

VW Caddy

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your VW?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pouring hot water over the nozzles. cant hear the pump , could it be a fuse?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/20/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Robert, UK Car Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

If you can't hear the pump working then the fuse would likely be the best place to be checking..details of location should be in your owners manual..if that seems to be ok..then its possible the motor has frozen....which certainly isnt uncommon at the moment..even happened to me! sometimes eventually it will thaw out and you regain the fluid back..but a,lot of these windscreen washes should with stand certain degrees below before they freeze..thats why in the colder months its best NOT to add water but just fill screenwash concentrate without adding any water...If the motor still seems to fail..then you'll need to get access to it and test for power direct at the motor..to diagnose the circuit to the motor is good and whether the pump has failed..

I checked all the fuses, they were ok. Gave it one last try and the water flowed again. Only problem the rear wiper doesn't work now. mysterious!

Yeah...around this time of the year..if you do need to refill the washer bottle..dont put any water in..just the concentrate..its the water content that freezes..just ensure the wiper isnt stuck to the rear screen.....but pretty much the same procedure if the rear wiper motor isnt working.test for power,control supply/ground direct at the motor.. you need to remove the square panel off that door to get at it..but also make a careful inspection of the wire trunking that comes via the rear van body to the door..the open/closing action of that door can sometimes cause wire breaks there..so ceertainly keep that in mind your not getting power to it..mayb wiggle that loom and see if it get the wiper to work..

Robert
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic