UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just have a quick question..we have a chevy tahoe. Diesel.

Customer Question
I just have a...

I just have a quick question..we have a chevy tahoe. Diesel. The battery is dead, but when we try to jump-start it, it still won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I think the car is early 200/late 90's

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have tried jumpstarting it. 1 minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Kids came

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/19/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

If the battery voltage drops low enough, it will not be able to be jump started and may not be able to be charged, even using a battery charger. Usually it is around 9.5v when it is too low and usually due to a dead battery cell, which with a dead cell, no amount of charging is going to bring the battery back to life.

You need to have the battery tested and if below 9.5v, buy a new one. If above that, then it will need to be put on a charger for several hours

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.