UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Timing keeps going out after starting. We have redone head…

Customer Question
Timing keeps going out...

Timing keeps going out after starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes we have redone head new cam lifters and chain tensioner on cams

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

X5 e53 3.0I 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your X5?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic. Problem was overheating. So had cylinder head sent to engineering pressure tested all was well so replCe all car drove for few days then one morning just sid not want to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We replaced lifters and cam chain tensioner

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/17/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither is the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident their answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

What are the possible scenarios for car to loose timing when timing is set with tools and after starting runs for few minutes and switches off and then refuses to start althoug cranking but just not starting. After checking all impossible reasons we find that cam timing and crank timing no longer align as set.

For a vehicle to be in time then all of sudden jump out of time on a restart. Normally that is going to be related to the chain tensioner not holding tension on the chain allowing it to go slack and flop around. I would check into oil pressure concern or oil pressure ports clogged and restricted to the chain tensioner.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hi chris I have not yet been able to follow up on your suggestions as am awaiting parts to fit on to the car. I would how ever pose this what are the chances of bending valves when this happens S.it looks like it could be more than one teeth out of postion .

There are no warning in the timing chain replacing steps which indicate this is an interference engine.

Would valve bend when this happen as I am starting to consider the fact of replacing engine. What would be your suggest

Valve should not ben on this engine when out of time.

Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast