UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What a great feature! my porsche cayenne s 2008 tiptronic is…

Customer Question
What a great feature...

What a great feature! my porsche cayenne s 2008 tiptronic is making a strange whirring noise. I noticed it a day or so ago, when it was occurring at low speeds - up to 30 MPH. Today is got worse and the PSM failure warning came up on the dashboard. I am just wondering what it could be so that I can take it to the dealer (it still has a 3 month warranty).

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It is coming from somewhere in the engine (I have not located it exactly). It has been going on for 2-3 days max, but much more noticeably in the passed 2 hours of driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cayenne yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am not fixing it myself and have not tried anything as yet. I was just doing some research to try to identify possible root causes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seems to be slightly worse when I steer to the right...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
12/16/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could cause a noise and it will require some diagnostics in person to determine exactly what is going on. If the noise is coming from the engine compartment and only happens when the engine is running it could be coming from any engine driven accessory. The noise may or may not be related to the warning light coming on. A mechanic's stethoscope could be used to listen to each engine accessory to try to locate the source.

The stability control light will come on for dozens of reasons including a problem with the base ABS system, engine related issues, the steering angle and yaw sensor, wheel speed sensors, etc. A scan tool will be needed to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.