UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My C3 was serviced and the mechanic filled it with too much…

Customer Question
Hi ... my C3...

Hi ... my C3 was serviced and the mechanic filled it with too much oil 4.5 litres. Secondly the car ran on 15w40 oil for a day ... On request the oil was replaced with 5w30 .. 3.4 litres. The engine sounds very rough now. What could have been damaged and how can it be rectified.

Mechanic's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I noticed that the morning after the first oil change there was a clack noise on initial start up.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/13/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Over filling the engine oil can result in bent valve train components or damaged components like lifters or rockers or push rods.This can create to much oil pressure causing this issue here.If the issue continues then I would let the facility know there is a problem with the engine and then you need to have it looked at to see if any damage is found needing repaired and let the facility know of the damage to see if they will cover the costs.

The excess oil can also work its way into the crank case ventilation system and plug up vent ports or even saturate the engine oil filter in some cases.

But the engine will need to be checked over to locate the cause then it can be repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete