UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine started juddering and then lost power, car limped…

Customer Question
Engine started juddering and...

Engine started juddering and then lost power, car limped home

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Power loss consistent. It is a Saab 9-5 Vector Griffin 3 litre V6 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 9-5?

Not sure, think 2000 or 2001 reg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, husband not well. He wondered if it could be a coil problem?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/13/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 9 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

HI my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

When you say it lost power did it act like it had no power to accelerate at all or like it was just running rough and you could accelerate just with a rough running feel/issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

My husband was driving. I think it felt rough and there was no acceleration and just managed to get home.
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 9 months ago

O.k., usually if it was a coil issue you would have a rough running feel but can still accelerate and drive it.With a loss of power though with the rough running and a struggle to drive it or get it home, this may be a fault with the fuel pump.The fuel pump can become weak and causes low fuel rail pressure causing this fault here.I have seen this before with low fuel rail pressure and had to replace the fuel pump.

This would need to be tested to see if this is the cause of the pump needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete