UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pearl! ( age 75) and I'm living in Rotterdam.I a drive an…

Customer Question
Hello Mike & Pearl...

Hello Mike & Pearl! My name is Arie( age 75) and I'm living in Rotterdam.I a drive an older Rover 45 1,8 CVT from 2004.My problem is that I switched the battery for a new one.. At the moment I connect the +cable on the new battery the alarmsystem is going off (very very loud!!).How can i stop this? I tried pushing the knobs on the remote (no effect) and used the key in the lock on the driver's door (also no effect). So I had to disconnect the +cable again.from the battery: then the noise stops. The alarm is a factory original system. Is there possibly a special alarm horn under the hood (including back-up battery?) which I could disconnect? I hope you can help me out..I'm fond of this car but now first of all I have to enable the new battery to do his job

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes I did but without effect: noise goes on. Using the knobs on the remote had also no effect (needs synchronise??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Rover 45 from 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Until now I used to fix myself simple repairs. Concerning the alarmsystem: I did check all sensors, it was all okay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is the first problem i cannot fix myself. Besides the sensors-check i checked the buttoncells within the remotes. Is it possible that de driverside doorlock is worn out? Until my renewing the battery everything (from locks to all parts of the alarmsystem did work well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/12/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, open the driver door and leave open. connect the positive cable to the battery. Place key in ignition and turn to on position and leave . Now disconnect the negative battery for 1 minute. Reconnect the negative cable. Alarm should sound for 1 minute and stop. Turn key to off position for 5 seconds and then crank engine.