UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

My 1.6 zafira has suddenly started to loss power starts

Customer Question
My 1.6 zafira has...

My 1.6 zafira has suddenly started to loss power starts moving ok in 1st for a bit then when changing to 2nd and 3rdthere is a big drop in power to tge point where it has cutvout a few times while driving there is a juddering noise from the engine when driving and lots of white smoke coming out the exhaust

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

120k i had a leak in my water reserve about 2 weeks ago found out there was a crack in the seal above the water pump had that sealed and now no water loss. the fuel consumtion is quite high

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Vauxhall zafira club 1.6 53 plate

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet just happened a couple of hours ago. struggled to get home parked in drive way just now. not sure where to start checking for faults

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had one lombard sensor changed a few weeks ago but emissions light has come back on also then power loss started

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/12/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this sounds like coolant is entering the combustion chamber of the engine

this will produce a lot of white smoke and a lack of power

if you're losing coolant then this would back this up

the best test is to use a pressure test kit to pump up the cooling system

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-Pressure-Tester-Kit-Universal-Coolant-Temp-Compression-Pump-Tool/253288796172?hash=item3af930500c:g:bQgAAOSwUYNaIVmi

or there's this chemical test

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMBUSTION-LEAK-BLOCK-TESTER-KIT/dp/B018PM3ZFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513113709&sr=8-1&keywords=head+gasket+test+kit

both of these will prove if the head gasket is failed or the head is cracked

if so then it may be wise to start looking for a replacement engine as a good used engine will be a lot cheaper than trying to rebuild your current unit

not lossing coolant anymore there was a crack in the seal just above the water pump but that has been fixed and there is no coolant loss any more

Ok

thats good but I'd still say the reason for the white smoke is very likely its burning coolant

I'd say the the next step is to proceed with a chemical test to confirm that the cooling system is OK

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer