UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Hyundai Santa Fe 2009 model won't start

Customer Question
My Hyundai Santa Fe 2009...
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/12/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok what have you checked so far?

checked the battery-status which is good. The starter is working but the engine won't start no matter how much I turn the key

so the starter is engaging the engine and the engine is turning over but just not starting?

that is correct

Are there any lights on in the dash? check engine? theft? anything?

I don't think so, but I can check it again now

if those are not present, we would need to start checking fuel pressure and spark

When I turn the key on, the check engine-lamp and som other red-lamps are showing up. They should turn off after a while when I have turned on the key?!

correct

ok. they are not turning off.

see if they go off after a start attempt, try to start but dont turn key off just let it come back to the on position

the check-engine lamp dissapears, but not the other red-lamps

can you send a picture of the lights?

Ok. I will send them Soon

sounds good ill be here

OK nothing wired there, I would verify your battery is ok, any auto parts store will do a load test for free, if thats ok, we will need to check spark and fuel next

ok.. the battery was checked one month ago, and it was ok then

that dosent mean it good today, I would check fuel and spark next,

OK. Is there a way of testing the battery at home without taking the car to a service-senter?

if you have a load tester you can, but if its turning over it should be ok, just something to check, have you verified fuel and spark yet?

If you mean that it's enough fuel, the fuel-gauge is showing half a tank. How do I check the spark?

to check fuel you will need a pressure gauge, and test at the fuel rail, any auto parts store will have this as a loaner tool and to check spark if you have never done it before I recommend a inline spark checker to be safe, I like to have a pair of grounded pliers and pull the coil and insert a plug to engine ground and check this way

If I haven't tried to start the car for å while, it almost starts (the engine runs for 1-2 seconds). But the next tries after that, the engine won't run at all..
After I tried to start the engine many times yesterday, it seemed like I could smell diesel..

is this a diesel engine model?

I dont have information on the diesel models ill have to open this up for the others to assist

ok
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

hello

another expert here

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer